Excessive menstrual bleeding is usually known as menorrhagia. This can be a distressing problem and is one of the most common reasons for women to visit their Gynocologist. Heavy periods take a physical, social and emotional toll as well. Studies show heavy periods mean more than heavy bleeding. They can affect women in a number of ways:
- Many feel tired and nauseated
- Many women experience bad cramps
- Many have headaches
- More than 60% have had to miss out on social or athletic events
- About 80% report avoiding sex
- 33% have been forced to miss work
- 77% have depression or moodiness
- 75% feel anxious
- 57% report a lack of confidence during their period
Studies have shown that many women who suffer from heavy periods do not bring the subject up to their doctor or seek treatment. Heavy periods are a problem that affects 1 out of every 5 women. If getting the conversation started once you’re there seems hard, try one of these openers:
- “I’d like to ask you a few questions about my menstrual cycle…”
- “I’ve noticed that my periods are different than what they used to be…”
- “I’ve heard a lot of women are getting treated for heavy periods. Is this something I should consider?”
Novasure can help with heavy menstrual bleeding. This one-time five-minute procedure is designed to remove just the uterine lining—the endometrium—which is the part of your body that causes heavy bleeding. No incisions are required, leaving your uterus intact.
Many women who’ve had the NovaSure endometrial ablation procedure say they are now able to spend more time at work and daily activities, participating in more social and athletic outings now that they no longer suffer from heavy menstrual bleeding. They also report improved energy levels, better moods, and a boost in self-confidence. And many also had a significant reduction in painful periods and PMS symptoms like irritability.
Your doctor will explain the risks of your treatment options. NovaSure endometrial ablation is for premenopausal women with heavy periods due to benign causes who are finished childbearing. Pregnancy following NovaSure can be dangerous. NovaSure endometrial ablation is not for those who have or suspect uterine cancer, have an active genital, urinary or pelvic infection or an IUD.
If you suffer from heavy menstrual bleeding and do not wish to have any children in the future, be sure to ask your doctor about an option called NovaSure.
Don’t let your period negatively affect your quality of life. Contact us if you have any questions regarding heavy menstrual bleeding or to set up an appointment.